Goleta Criminal Defense Attorney-
DUI, Sex Crimes, Assault – Sanford Horowitz Criminal Defense, P.C.
Goleta Criminal Defense Areas of Practice
In the city of Goleta, home to University of California Santa Barbara and famous college party town of Isla Vista, individuals from all walks of life can run into the law. Local law enforcement frequently sets up DUI checkpoints in this area, resulting in hundreds of students who find themselves in need of an experienced criminal defense lawyer.
Sanford Horowitz Criminal Defense, P.C. has defended numerous clients faced with a variety of charges including DUI, DWI, public intoxication, and other alcohol offenses; drug crimes (including marijuana possession) and probation violations; traffic crimes, hit and runs, and vehicular manslaughter; assault and battery, thefts, and robberies.
The DUI Process in Goleta & Fighting the Charges
- Jail time
- Criminal record
- Loss of driving privileges
- Community service hours
- Substantial fines
Additionally, a mark on your record could impact your ability to get certain jobs or housing. But don’t lose hope. Sanford Horowitz Criminal Defense, P.C. knows the law and the best strategies for your defense. We want to help you understand the charges you are facing as well as what your rights are under the law. If you’d like to schedule a consultation about your DUI case, call 805-452-7214 or fill out this contact form.
In the meantime, please review the following information regarding the DUI process and defense strategies your attorney may use to seek a dismissal, reduced charges, or acquittal on your behalf:
- Exposing an Improper Stop: If the officer does not have sufficient basis for the initial stop, Sanford Horowitz Criminal Defense, P.C. will seek to suppress all evidence obtained following the stop.
- Demonstrating Unreliability of FSTs: Even when conducted, demonstrated and scored perfectly, FSTs can be fairly inaccurate. Further, many officers lack sufficient training and experience in administering these highly subjective tests. FSTs also are as likely to reveal injury, illness, obesity, or lack of coordination as alcohol impairment. Sanford Horowitz has the same training police officers receive in FSTs and make sure a jury understands the inherent unreliability of FSTs.
- Failure to Observe Mandatory Waiting Period: When a police officer administers a breath test, the officer is required to observe a 15-minute continuous observation period. This waiting period is to mitigate the risk of an inaccurate breath test because of mouth alcohol. While the officer is supposed to carefully watch for factors that could interfere with an accurate result, many officers take this time to write reports or handle other tasks.
- Rising Blood Alcohol Defense: A driver can be convicted while operating a motor vehicle with a BAC of .08 percent or higher. Depending on when a driver consumed alcohol and the delay before administering a formal breath or blood test, an individual’s BAC can rise over the legal limit after the stop.
- Challenging Breath Test Results: There are many factors that can compromise the accuracy of a breath test, including low-carb diets, diabetes, mouthwash, gender, improper calibration of the device and other factors. Sanford Horowitz Criminal Defense, P.C. will carefully investigate chemical testing procedures and results that compromise the test’s accuracy or reliability.
Experienced Criminal Defense Firm in Goleta – Sanford Horowitz Criminal Defense, P.C.
Don’t wait to contact Sanford Horowitz to ensure that your legal rights are protected.